Public Policies, Relations between the State and the Citizens
Published on 14 February 2005
Humberto Ortiz R.
* Intercontinental Network for the promotion of the social and solidarian economy. * Group of the Economy of the Solidarity Peruvian Network (GRESP) * Action Aid.
Objective of the activity
* To identify the principal issues to the new public policies according a fair relation between democratic state and citizens in order to build a new fair and solidarian economy.
Summary of the central issues
* The question begins in how understand the economy of solidarity as a social and political actor that looks for and aspires to change our societies into fair, equitable, cooperative and solidarian ones. The political and cultural contents.
* The reality of the Economy of Solidarity (ES) is not the same in all of the countries and towns. The process of articulation are being promoted in several countries thought of local, national, international networks. ES as a more relevant changing actor.
* What the civil and political societies are (and within them the economy of solidarity) and about who is responsible for changing the society in which we live.
* The articulation of the ES as a political actor and the building of its project for the society, to express a view of what kind of state and what kind of relations with the state we consider it’s necessary to have. And also with the representative institutions of the establishment: IMF, WB, WTO, G-7, WEF, etc. Bilateralism and multilateralism.
* The harmonious administration of the patrimony of the people will give priority to nutrition, housing, health, education, work (minimal wage).
* It’s necessary to confront the undemocratic practices of the international institutions, the euphemistically called foreign debt, the distorted commercial agreements among countries, the predominant disorderly and anti-ecological productive system, the chaotic growth of our cities, the privatization of public goods such as air and water, the great social debt.
* What is the strategic political action directed towards the change of the state nature. It’s possible to establish alliances and even to find strategic alliances with other powers like the social movement, the legislative_ , the decentralized institutions (regional governments,regional governments in to a national state).
It’s necessary to work to:
* Legal and juridical marks. Recognize the various expressions of the ES.
* Integration of the organized expressions (various levels) of the ES in the establishments of a permanent dialogue and concert (tables of councils, chanters) that allow the participatory development of policies, programs and instruments for a fair and solidarian economy.
* Incorporate the ES as a central concern of the various levels of government (creation of ministries specifics, incorporation as a central subject of the economy, transversal in social and environmental ministries -education and health affairs. Governing with transparency and accountability to the citizens.
* Promotional policies to the develop of the ES (production services, consultancy, technological development, etc in a holistic perspective). Include the experiences in non-monetary systems and treat systems based in social money.
* Strength the public health system in a concept of ES.
* Develop of territorial policies that facilitate an articulation with local powers and municipalities. We must struggle for effective decentralization, building a global-national-local scenario and a participatory public budget process. Is necessary the fundamental review of the FMI structural programs (SAP, ESAF, GPRF) and the social auditing on the foreign debt.
* Development of policies that promote the local markets and an fair access to the global market, which recognize and facilitate the experiences of fair trade into and out of the countries.
* Development a participatory decision process in thematic about the external debt, taxation policy, financial policies in the perspective of ES.
* Development of educational policies that incorporate the solidarity like a transversal subject in the formation at all level. Education on economics and ethics.
* To open opportunity to the people more excluded (poor, marginalized by the actual neoliberal economic system and market) in order to be recognized than PERSON with human right (specially social, cultural and economic rights) that must be included on the local and global economy and the society and participate in the government decision making.
* To develop an authentic citizen concern and proactive on a economic and social policies
* It’s necessary to establish a new kind of relation with the state based in the recognition and promotion to the ES as an independent player (systemic player) with a specific fundamental contribution in the construction of the another possible world.
28 january, p.m.
Abdou Sallam Fall, perspective africaine
Chairman: Humberto Ortiz Roca